+3
Scheduled

Make Bolt folder structure portable within project

Oliver 3 months ago • updated by Tim Bayer 2 months ago 3

Hey there, I have a suggestion for a quality of life improvement for Bolt. Most other packages of the same price point already do what I am about to suggest.

When keeping a project organized it is beneficial for plugins to not create several folders in the root project directory. The structure should be: 

• Bolt

• Plugins
    • Generated
    • Editor Default Resources
    • Etc

I realize that Editor Default Resources actually can't be anywhere but the root folder, but I know there are workarounds for that. Other packages have figure it out.

There should be no hard-coded paths and I should be able to move Bolt into any sub-folders in my project.

I would really appreciate this improvement and I am sure your user base would as well!

All the best,

Oliver

Scheduled

I agree with you, and I decidedly tried to keep that to a minimum.

Every folder under Plugins can be moved elsewhere if you wish. Bolt analyzes its root paths based on *.root files located in each module (e.g. Ludiq.Graphs.root, by default under Plugins/Ludiq.Graphs). There is no hard coded path for this.

Editor Default Resources has to be a root folder to be used with EditorGUIUtility, and the only workaround I know for that is to move the assets under a Resources folder. However, if I did that, every icon in that file would be redistributed along with every build, which would add an unnecessary ~10 MiB bloat to all builds. 

Scratch that: reading the Unity manual again, it seems I could maybe place these assets under any Editor/Resources folder that is not at the root. I'll look into it.

The last folder is Generated. I could add an editor preference to the Ludiq framework for generated assets root, under assets, so you could have it point to /Bolt/ or /Ludiq/ if you want. Note that it must remain in a non-first-pass folder (e.g. not under /Editor/ or /Standard Assets/) for everything to work properly. Should be a fairly simple addition.

The roadmap is already pretty filled at the moment, but I've logged this in for v.1.4.

+1

Hey, there!

Perfect, you made my day sir. Thanks for putting up with my quips, I just want the product to be a perfect as possible. I am sure you also do as well!

I keep a folder called "Packages" and separate all asset store plugins in there for all of my projects, so I only really keep packages I can keep organized. I am a little OCD lol. (Aka I like Bolt enough to keep it even though it adds folders)

+1

Was just coming on here to ask for this same thing.  Will be nice to structure things more how we want.