A unit with at least one control input and one control output should be "insertable" inside an existing control connection, providing it overlaps this connection.
If both of these ports are connected, the reverse operation should also be permitted, offering the option to either keep the unit floating above or remove it altogether. Deleting a control unit while preserving control connections should be available as a keyboard shortcut too, as a modifier (e.g. Alt + Delete).
Not sure what the UX would be. A contextual menu could offer options like:
- Insert into control connection
- Remove from control connection
- Delete and preserve control connection
If many overlapping connections are available, the contextual menu should disambiguate unit titles, e.g.:
- Insert into control connection (Update to Log)
- Insert into control connection (Fixed Update to Add Force)
Additionally, creating a new node from a contextual control output port menu when the port is connected should insert the node in the connection.
Customer support service by UserEcho